Twitter Feed

LATEST NEWS:

2013-06-22: Transfered all of my 2011 "My Year in Music" posts from Facebook.

Saturday, June 22, 2013

My Year in Music - 2011 - #7

[This was originally posted on Facebook only, but I thought I'd make it a bit more accessible and get in in here. Just forgot about it for a couple of years].


MY YEAR IN MUSIC
2011 is coming to an end, and I figured I'd start looking back on some of the music that has emerged on my horizon this year. It's not all new, it's not all brilliant - but it all interests me in some way or another. I thought I'd share.

#7: Foo Fighters
Dave Grohl's top-notch rock band may not have been as long in the game as, say, Red Hot Chili Peppers, but since Foo Fighters' formation in 1994, they've managed to churn out seven albums, all by fairly regular intervals. Plenty of experience, plenty of mileage.
Personally, I felt that Foo Fighters had been in in a (very) slow, but steady decline since the excellent "There Is Nothing Left to Lose" (1999), and I had started to put them in the same category as the aforementioned Red Hot Chili Peppers, albeit at an earlier stage of musical erosion. I had started to write them off.

Then "Rope" played on the TV, and promptly kicked my ass around the room like a stray pinball.
That first single hooked me right into what for me was the best rock album of the year, "Wasting Light", and rekindled my love for Foo Fighters. For pure rock energy, for the songs that make you want to pull out that air guitar, for the sound that makes you want to shout until your voice is gone - accept no substitute.


No comments:

Post a Comment