Twitter Feed

LATEST NEWS:

2013-06-22: Transfered all of my 2011 "My Year in Music" posts from Facebook.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Combined Beauty --- pt.I

Yeah, I guess I've finally lost it.

Sometimes, when I get an idea, I have to follow through with it - no matter how pointless it may seem.
Yesterday, I started thinking about faces. And beauty. And combinations of faces.
Suddenly, I wondered what would happen if one were to mix faces and create new ones several times, within the framework of beauty - what would happen?
* Would the faces cease to be beautiful?
* Would the faces start to look similar?
* Would the faces actually look like existing persons?
* Would certain patterns of beauty emerge?

These are a few questions I expect to not have answered at all after this exercise is completed.

So - time to be more specific:
As a starting point, I decided to use Maxim's "Voted World’s Most Beautiful Girl" list for 2011 (specifically, because it's just a list, not some annoying pop-up, fancy-pants flash photo gallery). I didn't want to use my own preferences for this experiment, because I wanted at least some faint trace of objectivity to come into play at some point.
What I had in mind, then, was to take the top 8 women and combine them in some sort of... cup system, in lack of a better term.
Something like this:

fig. 1: Cup system




Straightforward enough, I should think.
So here are the eight women:

fig. 2: the Maxim Women




You may recognize some of them - Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Olivia Munn, Katy Perry, Cameron Diaz, Mila Kunis, Bar Refaeli, Anne Hathaway, and Natalie Portman - and note how I'm on a first-name basis with all of them from now on. Hey - it's my thought experiment, so I do what I please with it.
[note: I immediately start to regret not using picks of my own when I see that this list is almost exclusively comprised of white women. I would like some more variation - but as mentioned, I would also like to use an external list and be "objective". Oh, well...]

Time for the fun part, then - the combos themselves.
I use the easy-to-handle freeware Squirlz Morph to combine the two different faces, and then I polish the results with photo editing software.

First up is the Rosie Huntington-Whiteley/Natalie Portman hybrid, as dictated by fig. 1. So Rosie plus Nat...

fig. 3a




... equals... ummm... "Natalie Whiteley"!

fig. 3b




Now isn't this fun!?
In part II, I'm going to start off by showing all of the four hybrid women, thus completing "round 1" of this experiment.

Stay tuned for the super-exciting next episode of my creative lunacy!

8 comments:

  1. In this case, I'd take the two originals over the one composite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus, such a dumb project. this is not creative, just pointless and stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so agree with you. I never though those woman are beautiful. So stupid and narrow mind

      Delete
  3. Ah, how I value your brave opinion, Anonymous.
    Thanks for taking the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria Lo - we think it's great and would like to publish it online. Can you email me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's very creative and interesting. I'd like to see more of your work.

    ReplyDelete